Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Oct '11 13:40 / 1 edit
    Another excellent debate performance last night. Perry is clearly fading like a wilted flower. Cain probably can't overcome his dumb statements and if he could, his 9/9/9 plan will finish him with all but the simpleminded members of the far right. Romney is clearly the most polished and sophisticated GOP candidate right now. Other than the "flip flop" issue (and let's face it folks, he was running in Massachusetts; that's Massachusetts!) he does not have a major weakness. If he can win in Massachusetts as a republican, he can certainly win in the country as a whole.

It's still really early of course, but I'd say he's better than even money to win the GOP nomination. FWIW, Romney for the nomination is trading at 69.7 on Intrade!

Moreover, if he does win and the economy doesn't improve substantially, he is going to be a really tough out in the general.

Let's face it, folks. What are going to be the most important issues in the general? The economy and the deficit of course. If you had to hire a single CEO to turn around your debt ridden, languishing company and reduce its budget deficit, who would you hire? Barack Obama or Mitt Romney?

'nough said
  2. 12 Oct '11 14:42
    He does have a weakness in that he may find it hard to energize the Christian Right (since he's a Mormon). Having said that, states with a high percentage of hardcore fundies tend to be red anyway, so it wouldn't be a problem to lose a few votes there. Anyway, much depends on the state of the economy in 2012, and Obama's performance has been abysmally poor (not that I expect any better from Romney).
  3. 12 Oct '11 14:44
    Originally posted by sh76

Let's face it, folks. What are going to be the most important issues in the general? The economy and the deficit of course. If you had to hire a single CEO to turn around your debt ridden, languishing company and reduce its budget deficit, who would you hire? Barack Obama or Mitt Romney?

'nough said
    I wouldn't say that the president is directly analogous to being a CEO so I'm not sure that's really the question that should be asked - although that is probably the question that will be asked.

The problem with Romney, and the reason why Bachmann, Perry, Christie and Cain have been alternatively seen as being the great right hope for the party is that Romney, like McCain before him, is not an exciting prospect for the right religious base. I guess "I HATE OBAMA" might be enough to motivate them?

Maybe they can try to get Romney another Palinesque VP to animate the base.
  4. 12 Oct '11 14:45
    It is still early.

Romney could still be painted as a liberal (RINO) by another candidate using statements he made during his debate with Kennedy years ago.

If I was Ron Paul that is what I would do.
    Cain (FRS tool) has nothing to lose by doing that since calling 80% of blacks brainwashed to be liberals.

I don't like Gingrich but I still predict he will surge later in the campaign to win the election. He is tool of the elites. In the meantime I will be rooting for Ron (real change) Paul.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Oct '11 14:57
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Maybe they can try to get Romney another Palinesque VP to animate the base.
    Oh, please no.

Christie is now fully on board the Romney bandwagon and may do a whistle stop tour with Mitt. Maybe Christie is lobbying for VP. That would make a great ticket.

I'd like to think that we learned our lesson about "Palinesque" VP candidates from the experience with Palin.
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Oct '11 15:01
    Another excellent debate performance last night. Perry is clearly fading like a wilted flower. Cain probably can't overcome his dumb statements and if he could, his 9/9/9 plan will finish him with all but the simpleminded members of the far right. Romney is clearly the most polished and sophisticated GOP candidate right now. Other than the "flip flop" issue (an ...[text shortened]... e its budget deficit, who would you hire? Barack Obama or Mitt Romney?

'nough said
    Romney is apparently going to fix the budget deficit by increasing military spending and cutting taxes.
  7. 12 Oct '11 15:05
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    It is still early.

Romney could still be painted as a liberal (RINO) by another candidate using statements he made during his debate with Kennedy years ago.

If I was Ron Paul that is what I would do.
    Cain (FRS tool) has nothing to lose by doing that since calling 80% of blacks brainwashed to be liberals.

I don't like Gingrich but I still predic ...[text shortened]... ection. He is tool of the elites. In the meantime I will be rooting for Ron (real change) Paul.
    It's already started. Romney's advisors who helped him create Romney care also were used by Obama to create Obamacare. They are saying the Romney created the blueprint for Obamacare.

As far as wars abroad, I'm confident he will do what Obama is doing which is upholding the status quo in Iraq and Afghanistan.

As for spending, perhaps he will nix the stimulus policies, but my guess is that he will still be a big spender who will be unable to pass a balanced budget.

As far as illegal immigration, I don't see him securing the border. I'm not really sure what he has said about it but my guess is that he has chastized Obama for his polities even though his own will not be much different much in the same way Obama criticized "W" for his wars abroad but only expanded conflicts into Libya.

All in all I would say its a big
  8. 12 Oct '11 15:07 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Romney is apparently going to fix the budget deficit by increasing military spending and cutting taxes.
    You mean like the Democrats did? These clowns are all the same.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Oct '11 15:11
    Originally posted by whodey
    It's already started. Romney's advisors who helped him create Romney care also were used by Obama to create Obamacare. They are saying the Romney created the blueprint for Obamacare.

As far as wars abroad, I'm confident he will do what Obama is doing which is upholding the status quo in Iraq and Afghanistan.

As for spending, perhaps he will nix the st ...[text shortened]... ars abroad but only expanded conflicts into Libya.

What do you propose to do to balance the budget?
  10. 12 Oct '11 15:13

As for spending, perhaps he will nix the st ...[text shortened]... ars abroad but only expanded conflicts into Libya.

Not many people know "the real Romney" though.

It has not hit the mainstream media and it may not since the news media likes him. Campaign ads could change that though and Ron Paul does have millions to spend.
  11. 12 Oct '11 15:14
    Shoot them all.
  12. 12 Oct '11 15:15
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Not many people know "the real Romney" though.

It has not hit the mainstream media and it may not since the news media likes him. Campaign ads could change that though and Ron Paul does have millions to spend.
    Progressives run both parties, the press, and pretty much everyone with money. Romney is their guy.
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Oct '11 15:16
    Shoot them all.
    Yeah, okay whodey.

Now maybe try answering the question?
  14. 12 Oct '11 15:20
    We could start by bringing the troops home, and I mean all the troops. Then we use our troops to attack Canada and enslave their population.
  15. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Oct '11 15:23 / 1 edit
    In the meantime, here's my answer

- Tax capital gains as ordinary income
    - Return income tax rates to pre-Bush levels
    - Return the estate tax to pre-Bush levels
    - Eliminate the income cap for social security tax

- Raise social security retirement ages by 2 years across the board
    - Cut defense spending by 30% by withdrawing from Afghanistan and eliminating needless bases in such dangerous places like... Germany(?)
    - Reduce Pell grants; turn much of it into low interest Stafford Loans. If the government pays for your education, it's fair to expect to have to pay the money back when you graduate and get a job
    - Cut more discretionary spending on random things that the federal government has no business being involved in

How much money have we made/saved so far?