Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Feb '17 01:14
    Originally posted by finnegan
    The expert making these predictions was Steve Bannon. As Trump's "Chief Strategist" [you have to laugh] he is now in a very good position to make his own predictions self fulfilling.

Remind yourself of this next time you use the term "idiot"
    I don't care who makes these predictions, the point is they don't always happen.
  2. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    03 Feb '17 18:151 edit
    http://countercurrentnews.com/2017/02/steve-bannon-u-s-is-going-to-war-with-china-very-soon/

Steve Bannon:

‘We’re going to war in the South China Sea in 5 to 10 years, aren’t we? There’s no doubt about that. They’re taking their sandbars and making basically stationary aircraft carriers and putting missiles on those. They come here to the United States in front of our face — and you understand how important face is — and say it’s an ancient territorial sea.’
    ‘Lenin wanted to destroy the state and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment. I’m a Leninist.’
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '17 18:55
    http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/1/31/14439908/steve-bannon-worldview-visa-ban

"But I strongly believe that whatever the causes of the current drive to the caliphate was — and we can debate them, and people can try to deconstruct them — we have to face a very unpleasant fact. And that unpleasant fact is that there is a major war brewing, a war ...[text shortened]... upport on this forum. It seems Eladar and Whodey have become mainstream and now run the country.
    LMAO!

IF I were running the country I would make the citizens either pay for their lavish nanny state or opt out.

My guess it would be the later.
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    03 Feb '17 20:13
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/03/steve-bannon-islamophobia-film-script-muslims-islam

"Steve Bannon's Islamophobic film script isn't just a story – it's how he feels about Muslims:
    The man who once imagined a ‘global war’ between ‘the Judeo-Christian west’ and ‘jihadist
    Islamic fascism’ is now Trump’s top adviser. Here’s a selection of anti-Muslim remarks he
    has made in the past/"
  5. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    03 Feb '17 20:31
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I don't care who makes these predictions, the point is they don't always happen.
    No, the point is that when you wrote: "Gotta love these predictions from the experts who almost guaranteed a Clinton victory" you were unaware, despite the clear references in my post, that the expert in this cse was Steve Bannon, and you fondly imagined you were making a clever remark. Instead you were exposing your inability to read sentences with more than one clause or with any complicated syntax - in short, anything above your depressingly low reading age.

Also, while you claim not to care, it remains fair to point out that you have been making a bit of a habit of calling other people idiots, which leaves you open to having your glaring nonsense pointed out for what it is.
  6. Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Feb '17 00:04
    No, the point is that when you wrote: "Gotta love these predictions from the experts who almost guaranteed a Clinton victory" you were unaware, despite the clear references in my post, that the expert in this cse was Steve Bannon, and you fondly imagined you were making a clever remark. Instead you were exposing your inability to read sentences with more t ...[text shortened]... people idiots, which leaves you open to having your glaring nonsense pointed out for what it is.
    I know I am far from being an "intellectual".
    Being intellectual is not all it is cracked up to be. It is not the same as wisdom.
    No, I did not know it was said by Bannon, I skipped through much of your post, but I still disagree with it, that is, the predictions.
    You on the other hand, and other "intellectuals" here are riding high on your high horses here constantly.
    But I will quote what my God said...

1 Cor 1:25
    For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.
    NIV

One of the reasons I like Trump is because he can convey his message simply. He has convinced me and many others that he is genuine, not perfect, but genuine. And what he is doing is exactly what he campaigned on.
    BTW God has a way of confounding the "intellectuals of this world".
  7. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    04 Feb '17 00:12
    Being intellectual is not all it is cracked up to be. It is not the same as wisdom.
    No, I did not know it was said by Bannon, I skipped through much of your post, but I still disagree with it, that is, the predictions.
    You on the other hand, and other "intellectuals" here are riding high on your high hors ...[text shortened]... ctly what he campaigned on.
    You are officially weird.
  8. Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Feb '17 00:16
    You are officially weird.
    Thank you, but the word is "peculiar".🙂
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Feb '17 02:05
    You on the other hand, and other "intellectuals" here are riding high on your high hors ...[text shortened]... ctly what he campaigned on.
    Trump is a liar, plain and simple. That people like you actually think his policies are good for Americans makes all of the damage he will do to this country all on you.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Feb '17 02:08
    Bannon and Breitbart have been champions for the right for some time, investigating and exposing the corruption of the Left.
    You mean creating and taking advantage of the corruption on the right.
  11. Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Feb '17 02:51
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Trump is a liar, plain and simple. That people like you actually think his policies are good for Americans makes all of the damage he will do to this country all on you.
    I said the same about Obama and Clinton with much more evidence.
  12. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    04 Feb '17 12:401 edit
    Your sneering at "intellectual" effort is well supported in the Bible and indeed was the preferred attitude of the Mediaeval Church in Europe, as also in obscurantist periods of Islam. Happily, both Christianity and Islam - as well as Judaism - also had long periods of intellectual creativity. Arguably, one objective of the Reformation was to reject the authority of Bishops and encourage the faithful to read the Bible in their vernacular translations, though no less arguably, the Puritan interpretation which has infested the USA for centuries does represent a reversion to the most obscurantist attitudes. Fundamentalism in Judaism, Islam and Christiianity is a modern and disagreeable outcome of the fear of intellectual effort.

Nobody invited you to agree or disagree with Bannon. What you were invited to do was grasp the nature of his belief system and the implications of letting such a person loose in world politics, at the helm of the most powerful military machine on the planet. There is a profound difference between a prediction or prophecy on the one hand and a statement of intent on the other hand. When your president appoints someone with these beliefs, you would be well advised to assume that he will do what he says he intends to do. Why, after all, would you expect Trump to suddenly become reticent and listen to reason? He is under no pressure from the American Taliban to do so.

Your use of Blbilical authority to reject intellectual effort is not inherently Christian - many Christians, Jews and Muslims interpret the Bible differently - but it is inherently blasphemous. Instead of enagaging with the debate on these issues, you choose to assert that, regardles of Trump's stated intentions and those of his appointees to high office, you are confident that God will make it all turn out for the best. In other words, your faith relieves you of the responsibility to think for your self and to take responsibility for your opinions and your behaviour - in this case, your political engagement and your vote.

There is a powerful tradition of fatalism in all three of the Abrahamaic religions. Muslims like to invoke the concept that everything that happens is already written.

“The moving hand once having writ moves on. Nor all thy piety nor wit can lure it back to cancel half a line.” ― Omar Khayyám, Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám

This however represents a submission to God's will, not the presumption to insist that we can neglect our responsibillities - for example as citizens - in the confidence that God will reward our piety with material blessings in this life. I think you will find that it has been God's will to permit some atrocious events in history and I see no good reason that is not blasphemous to argue that He will now prioritise your pathetic ambitions over, for the example, the right of a child born today in Iran to a decent life free from Western violence and intimidation.

Perhaps you would do better to take your head out of your Bible - not because of its defects but because of your defective reading - and turn instead to the Greeks, and their concept of hubris. The American empire is not too big to fail. It is too big to fail without immense harm to the rest of the world alas. We rather need American citizens to take more responsibility for their opinions and their behaviour. That, I am afraid, will require huge effort - aka intellectual work.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Feb '17 12:50
    I said the same about Obama and Clinton with much more evidence.
    Clearly you meant to say much less evidence. By almost every metric, Clinton and Obama were better for this country than either Bush or Trump. But you'll never believe it, because you swallow everything the alt-right media tells you is true. And that includes Steve Bannon.

The evidence in this case cannot be more clear, unless of course, you insist on following Trump into hell, in which case no amount of evidence will convince you. And you still wonder why the left calls you stupid.
  14. Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Feb '17 15:19
    Your sneering at "intellectual" effort is well supported in the Bible and indeed was the preferred attitude of the Mediaeval Church in Europe, as also in obscurantist periods of Islam. Happily, both Christianity and Islam - as well as Judaism - also had long periods of intellectual creativity. Arguably, one objective of the Reformation was to reject the a ...[text shortened]... nions and their behaviour. That, I am afraid, will require huge effort - aka intellectual work.
    Fundamentalism in Judaism, Islam and Christiianity is a modern and disagreeable outcome of the fear of intellectual effort
    I don't think the bible really "sneers" at intellectual effort, and neither do I. It is only appropriate when the intellectual rises beyond his/her bounds and thinks to himself that he is wiser than God, or begins to doubt his existence.
    In fact 2Timothy 2:15 exhorts us to study or do our best ...

you are confident that God will make it all turn out for the best. In other words, your faith relieves you of the responsibility to think for your self and to take responsibility for your opinions and your behaviour - in this case, your political engagement and your vote.
    On the contrary, I am confident of no such thing. God expects us to engage and think and align our thinking with his word. He will not interfere with free will unless we petition or invite him through prayer. I do take full responsibility for my actions, including my vote, and will be judged accordingly. One of my primary concerns this election was to do my part by voting to bring an end to the slaughter of innocent children who have no say as to whether they live or die. I think Trump is the best vehicle to steer that end in the right direction. I also think he was the best to control our borders, and stop the flood of illegals coming in to the country.

There is a powerful tradition of fatalism in all three of the Abrahamaic religions. Muslims like to invoke the concept that everything that happens is already written.

“The moving hand once having writ moves on. Nor all thy piety nor wit can lure it back to cancel half a line.” ― Omar Khayyám, Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám

You may be correct, but I disagree with their belief. The only things that are sure, are the things God has promised.

This however represents a submission to God's will, not the presumption to insist that we can neglect our responsibillities - for example as citizens - in the confidence that God will reward our piety with material blessings in this life. I think you will find that it has been God's will to permit some atrocious events in history and I see no good reason that is not blasphemous to argue that He will now prioritise your pathetic ambitions over, for the example, the right of a child born today in Iran to a decent life free from Western violence and intimidation.

I disagree with your view completely. Again, I do not believe in neglecting my responsibility as a citizen. I believe God does NOT reward us according to our piety or works.
    I do not believe God has "allowed "atrocious events, any time in history. Nor does he interfere with the right of any child anywhere. These are assumptions you have concluded by your wayward "intellectual" reasoning.

Perhaps you would do better to take your head out of your Bible - not because of its defects but because of your defective reading - and turn instead to the Greeks, and their concept of hubris.
    I disagree again. I will keep my "head in the bible" as you say, and be a better person for it. My concept of hubris is only what the bible tells me. I am proud to be a child of God and I am proud to represent him factually, not your flawed interpretation.

The American empire is not too big to fail. It is too big to fail without immense harm to the rest of the world alas. We rather need American citizens to take more responsibility for their opinions and their behaviour. That, I am afraid, will require huge effort - aka intellectual work.

No empire is too big too fail. The world is not too big to fail. In fact the whole world will indeed fail one day, and all your "intellectual work" as you put it is laughable.
    To God, the nations are like a drop in a bucket.
    So in essence you have said nothing, but have shown your contempt for God and religion.
  15. Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Feb '17 15:21
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Clearly you meant to say much less evidence. By almost every metric, Clinton and Obama were better for this country than either Bush or Trump. But you'll never believe it, because you swallow everything the alt-right media tells you is true. And that includes Steve Bannon.

The evidence in this case cannot be more clear, unless of course, you insist on ...[text shortened]... se no amount of evidence will convince you. And you still wonder why the left calls you stupid.
    Wrong, I stand by what I said and I will not bother myself to start laying out for you Clinton's bloody trail, nor Obama's long list of dividing the country and bowing to his Muslim roots.