Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 10 Jan '16 23:12
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/10/white-man-pathology-bernie-sanders-donald-trump

"The White Man Pathology"
    --Stephen Marche (10 January 2016)

"Most of the time being white is an absence of problems. The police don't
    bother you so you don't notice the police not bothering you. You get the
    job so you don't notice not getting it. Your children are not confused with criminals."
    --Stephen Marche
  2. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    12 Jan '16 08:56
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/10/white-man-pathology-bernie-sanders-donald-trump

"The White Man Pathology"
    --Stephen Marche (10 January 2016)

"Most of the time being white is an absence of problems. The police don't
    bother you so you don't notice the police not bothering you. You get the
    job so you don't notice not getting it. Your children are not confused with criminals."
    --Stephen Marche
    This is quite true, but there is another side to this. 1. Only white men get accused of racism. 2. Only white men get accused of sexism. 3. White men must listen to racial slurs and insults from our beloved minorities, but are not allowed to do the same. 4. Millions of jobs were denied to better qualified white males and given to less qualified minorities under affirmative action. (It's not all sunshine and roses!)
  3. 12 Jan '16 11:28 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by bill718
    This is quite true, but there is another side to this. 1. Only white men get accused of racism. 2. Only white men get accused of sexism. 3. White men must listen to racial slurs and insults from our beloved minorities, but are not allowed to do the same. 4. Millions of jobs were denied to better qualified white males and given to less qualified minorities under affirmative action. (It's not all sunshine and roses!)
    I do not dispute your claims. However to call them 'not all sunshine and roses' is simply ridiculous when comparing them to what anyone who is not a white male has to go through. Seriously, your no. one grievance is that minorities don't get accused of racism like you do? (note that you haven't said the accusations aren't valid, only that they are only levelled against white males).
    I for one am a white male and have never been accused of racism that I am aware of.

As for your point 4, may I point out that the white males were better qualified. Hello!, surely being better qualified is sunshine and roses right there? It means you have better schooling than the women or minorities. It also means you have more chance of getting a job elsewhere.
  4. 12 Jan '16 12:13
    You left out one:
    5. White men gotta pretend there's not an epidemic of black on white violence and even pretend that the reverse is happening or they'll be called racist:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ColinFlaherty712/videos
  5. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    12 Jan '16 12:43 / 2 edits
    6. Permanent membership on D64's hate list (can be viewed as an upside).
  6. 12 Jan '16 13:42
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I do not dispute your claims. However to call them 'not all sunshine and roses' is simply ridiculous when comparing them to what anyone who is not a white male has to go through. Seriously, your no. one grievance is that minorities don't get accused of racism like you do? (note that you haven't said the accusations aren't valid, only that they are only le ...[text shortened]... ing than the women or minorities. It also means you have more chance of getting a job elsewhere.
    i hope he was being sarcastic
  7. 12 Jan '16 13:44
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    You left out one:
    5. White men gotta pretend there's not an epidemic of black on white violence and even pretend that the reverse is happening or they'll be called racist:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ColinFlaherty712/videos
    do you understand what an epidemic is?
    is that black on white violence racially motivated?
  8. 12 Jan '16 13:47
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    do you understand what an epidemic is?
    is that black on white violence racially motivated?
    1. Yes.
    2. Yes
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Jan '16 14:14 / 2 edits
    Bam!

And Bill takes the ball all the way to the House!

The only thing I'll add is "You get the job so you don't notice not getting it." is ludicrous. White, black, brown, yellow or pink, nobody takes getting a job for granted. Getting a job is very hard and very stressful work. When you send out 150 resumes and *hope* to get maybe 10 callbacks, maybe 7 interviews and that ONE golden offer (and most of us have probably been there), you don't take getting a job for granted. Unless one builds a company or gets a job with a family company, I can't imagine anyone takes getting a job for granted.
  10. 12 Jan '16 14:16
    Boo Hoo. Sticks and stones break bones. Names do not hurt you. Like white women, people of color of both sexes have a very hard time getting equal pay for equal work. Unemployment among people of color in the U.S. is always farhigher than for whites, even controlling for education.
  11. 12 Jan '16 15:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    ... I can't imagine anyone takes getting a job for granted.
    You must be severely lacking in imagination.

I got my first job largely because I was white (and male). It was so easy to get that for a while I did take getting a job for granted and thought it was easy. I have since then had very little difficulty getting a job. Getting a dream job, now that's another matter, but then I admit I have never actually sent my c.v. to Google.

Currently the main thing standing in the way of getting a higher paying job is the fact that I am a foreigner. But then I haven't actually gone looking for a job recently as my current job just covers my bills.
  12. 12 Jan '16 22:00
    Bill718, a self-pitying white American man, has spewed more ignorant or dishonest nonsense.
    Bill718 apparently prefers to enjoy his white racial privilege while denying that it exists.

In fact, many white men at RHP have been vehemently accusing non-white people of racism.
    In fact, many white men at RHP have been vehemently accusing non-white men of sexism.
  13. 12 Jan '16 22:04 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by Phranny to Bill718
    Boo Hoo. Sticks and stones break bones. Names do not hurt you. Like white women, people of color of both sexes have a very hard time getting equal pay for equal work. Unemployment among people of color in the U.S. is always farhigher than for whites, even controlling for education.
    Bill718 seems be another self-pitying white American man who prefers to enjoy his
    white racial privilege while denying that it exists. I never have taken seriously Bill718's
    (often hypocritical) grandiose pretensions to be 'progressive', which extends only as
    far in his case as being a shill for the US Democratic Party.

I know of a non-white man who was asked by a white woman friend to attend a political
    demonstration in the USA. He wondered if there would be many police at that event.
    She told him: "Don't worry about it. The police always have treated me with courtesy and respect."
    Amazed, he asked her, "You are a white woman. Why can't you imagine that the police
    would likely treat me with less courtesy and respect than they always show toward you?"

Speaking of 'controlling for education', Asian-American men are more educated on average
    than white American men, but Asian-American men earn less money on average than
    white American men of the same educational level. While white men like to boast that
    they are superior in intelligence and education to all other people in the USA, in fact,
    white men tend to do worse academically in many ways than Asian men or white women.
  14. 12 Jan '16 22:07 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead to Sh76
    You must be severely lacking in imagination.

I got my first job largely because I was white (and male). It was so easy to get that for a while I did take getting a job for granted and thought it was easy. I have since then had very little difficulty getting a job. Getting a dream job, now that's another matter, but then I admit I have never act ...[text shortened]... then I haven't actually gone looking for a job recently as my current job just covers my bills.
    "I got my first job largely because I was white (and male)."
    --Twhitehead

Twhitehead's honesty about racial privilege is commendable, though rare among white men at RHP.

Sh76's evidently another racist right-wing white American man, though his racism seems less
    overt and more nuanced than the racism of many other right-wing white American men at RHP.
  15. 12 Jan '16 22:30
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "I got my first job largely because I was white (and male)."
    --Twhitehead

Twhitehead's honesty about racial privilege is commendable, though rare among white men at RHP.

Sh76's evidently another racist right-wing white American man, though his racism seems less
    overt and more nuanced than the racism of many other right-wing white American men at RHP.
    Everything you agree with you believe is fact. Everything you disagree with you believe is a lie. Twithead isn't honest because he believes he got a job because he was a white male anymore then someone like myself who believes race and gender was no factor in getting their job.