Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 13 Aug '12 21:27
    http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/study_voter_impersonation_fraud_target_of_voter_id_virtually_non-existent.php?ref=fpnewsfeed
  2. 13 Aug '12 22:57
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/study_voter_impersonation_fraud_target_of_voter_id_virtually_non-existent.php?ref=fpnewsfeed
    Interesting, but it somehow doesn't agree with numbers where precincts have more than 100% voter turnout. Or where hundreds of dead people are registered and vote, and where pets are registered, and students are registered where they matriculate, as well as their family home.

Could it be that picture ID laws are working? At the recent primary, I showed my drivers license, and they didn't ask for my Voter registration card.
  3. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    13 Aug '12 23:03
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Interesting, but it somehow doesn't agree with numbers where precincts have more than 100% voter turnout. Or where hundreds of dead people are registered and vote, and where pets are registered, and students are registered where they matriculate, as well as their family home.

Could it be that picture ID laws are working? At the recent primary, I showed my drivers license, and they didn't ask for my Voter registration card.
    I'd love to see some actual data showing the things you claimed in the first paragraph. Got any?

Suppose someone doesn't have a driver's license or any form of photo ID? Should they be disqualified from voting?
  4. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    13 Aug '12 23:13 / 1 edit
    From the same source:

"Conservatives and their “media division,” known to some as Fox News Channel, believe the U.S. has a voter fraud problem. And how big is this alleged problem?
    “I’m gonna say it’s bigger than ringworm and less than Bieber fever,” Jon Stewart said Wednesday. “Actually I didn’t know we had a voter fraud problem in this country.”
    We don’t, actually. The Republican National Lawyers Association in a study found only 340 cases of voter fraud over the course of a decade.
    Stewart imagined how conservatives would defend the voter ID laws popping up in swing states with Republican-controlled legislatures: “It doesn’t happen, this won’t stop it … I think you can see why we have to do it now.”?
  5. 13 Aug '12 23:18
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'd love to see some actual data showing the things you claimed in the first paragraph. Got any?

Suppose someone doesn't have a driver's license or any form of photo ID? Should they be disqualified from voting?
    " Suppose someone doesn't have a driver's license or any form of photo ID? Should they be disqualified from voting?"

Get one, or a state ID. Lots of States have motor voter, allegedly to make voter registration easier. How easy does it have to be? You still have to get off your lazy butt and vote.

If you really wanted to find data, google does the trick.
  6. 13 Aug '12 23:27
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    From the same source:

"Conservatives and their “media division,” known to some as Fox News Channel, believe the U.S. has a voter fraud problem. And how big is this alleged problem?
    “I’m gonna say it’s bigger than ringworm and less than Bieber fever,” Jon Stewart said Wednesday. “Actually I didn’t know we had a voter fraud problem in this country.”
    We don ...[text shortened]... tures: “It doesn’t happen, this won’t stop it … I think you can see why we have to do it now.”?
    Funny it was Democrats in 2000 that claimed fraud when they lost. The famous butterfly ballot, designed by a Democrat city clerk.

Then it was Diebold touch screens in Ohio, in 2004, that formed the basis of a voter fraud conspiracy theory.

The election of Minnesota Senator, unfunny former comedian remained contested for a long time with accusations on both sides of selective vote counting.

The Collier brothers wrote Vote Scam in 1992. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Votescam:_The_Stealing_of_America

It is worth a read. No voting apparatus ought to be programmable, or attached to a phone or network connection. If a twelve year old in Uzbekistan can infect your computer with a virus, how hard would it be for real IT people from the corporate side or the intellectual side to manipulate elections electronically?

Even relatively large margin elections are still close enough that they could be turned by as little as a ten percent "adjustment".
  7. 14 Aug '12 00:03

Can you name a few examples?
  8. 14 Aug '12 00:05
    " Suppose someone doesn't have a driver's license or any form of photo ID? Should they be disqualified from voting?"

Get one, or a state ID. Lots of States have motor voter, allegedly to make voter registration easier. How easy does it have to be? You still have to get off your lazy butt and vote.

I googled it earlier. I'm not finding anything except references to Chicago in the election of 1960s.

Madison was above 100 percent in the recall election a couple of months ago, but that's because they have same-day registration so the voters who turned out exceeded those who were previously registered. No irregularities reported.
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    14 Aug '12 00:12
    normbenign wants you to produce the data to back his claims.

"If you really wanted to find data, google does the trick."
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    14 Aug '12 01:01

So the answer to my question is "yes"?

I find it interesting that the guy who is soooooooooooooooooooo opposed to the government, is all in favor of the State requiring you to get a government approved ID in order to exercise a basic right.
  11. 14 Aug '12 23:31
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Can you name a few examples?
    I just did, but Louisiana and Chicago are famous for their election fraud.
  12. 14 Aug '12 23:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    normbenign wants you to produce the data to back his claims.

"If you really wanted to find data, google does the trick."
    No silly fool, I'm simply tired of making references, and him denying they are valid or simply dismissing them as right wing propaganda. There simply isn't an interest in the truth, and I have limited time to suffer fools.
  13. 14 Aug '12 23:53
    So the answer to my question is "yes"?

I find it interesting that the guy who is soooooooooooooooooooo opposed to the government, is all in favor of the State requiring you to get a government approved ID in order to exercise a basic right.
    First lets be clear that I am not opposed to government performing its basic functions. Elections are a basic function, however the basic right of every valid voter is stolen by every invalid voter or duplicate voter, or computer enhanced voter.

This isn't a partisan issue, except when Democrats lose.

How would you prevent fraud?
  14. 15 Aug '12 00:03
    I just did, but Louisiana and Chicago are famous for their election fraud.
    Yeah. Under Huey Long (1930s) and Mayor Daley (1960s) respectively.
  15. 15 Aug '12 00:04
    First lets be clear that I am not opposed to government performing its basic functions. Elections are a basic function, however the basic right of every valid voter is stolen by every invalid voter or duplicate voter, or computer enhanced voter.

This isn't a partisan issue, except when Democrats lose.

How would you prevent fraud?
    By jailing people caught in the act.