Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 26 Sep '14 11:58
    Remember the good old days when presidents answered questions from the press, or better yet from ordinary citizens in a town hall meeting or similar setting? I think bombing people without congressional approval should at the very least result in good questions for Obama to answer, yet nothing....

Maybe we need an amendment to the constitution saying that killing people has to result in a long Q&A session for the president. That seems fair doesn't it?

What questions would you ask Obama if you could?
  2. Standard member redbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    26 Sep '14 12:08
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Remember the good old days when presidents answered questions from the press, or better yet from ordinary citizens in a town hall meeting or similar setting? I think bombing people without congressional approval should at the very least result in good questions for Obama to answer, yet nothing....

Maybe we need an amendment to the constitution saying ...[text shortened]... r the president. That seems fair doesn't it?

where did you get your acting lessons ?.
  3. 26 Sep '14 13:29

Maybe we need an amendment to the constitution saying ...[text shortened]... r the president. That seems fair doesn't it?

Somewhere along the line the Constitutional mandate that War could only be declared by Congress is lost, or twisted by the War Powers Act and the actions of recent Presidents. Clinton and Obama go into air bombardment as if that is somehow not so bad as ground invasion. That didn't seem to hold any water when Hitler was bombing London, or when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. The recipients of our bombs today don't view them as anything less than war.

George W. Bush twice went to Congress for permission to use military force in Iraq and got it with bipartisan support, but without a declaration of War. We the people have to stand up and oppose use of the American military without the express declaration of War by Congress.

No1 in another thread proposed a Convention of the States to amend the Constitution. He's a bit late as Mark Levin wrote a book proposing the same thing and laying the legal groundwork for it.

Careful here, because saving money on the military ought not be a free ticket to more government power in new social programs. We ought to be able to first balance budgets and work on paying off 7 trillion in debt.
  4. 26 Sep '14 13:54

What questions would you like to ask?

Personally, I would like to ask him a math question.

How long will it take to arm a member of ISIS to overthrow Assad if he were to travel on a train going 50 miles/hour toward Damascus one way during a leap year if he were armed with weapons made in China and paid for by US taxpayers?
  5. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    26 Sep '14 14:21

Which "good old days" are you talking about? I don't remember past presidents doing a lot more Q&A sessions.
  6. 26 Sep '14 16:14
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Somewhere along the line the Constitutional mandate that War could only be declared by Congress is lost, or twisted by the War Powers Act and the actions of recent Presidents. Clinton and Obama go into air bombardment as if that is somehow not so bad as ground invasion. That didn't seem to hold any water when Hitler was bombing London, or when the Japan ...[text shortened]... ograms. We ought to be able to first balance budgets and work on paying off 7 trillion in debt.
    quote:

A Congressional Research Service report from 2007 states:

But a declaration of war automatically brings into effect a number of statutes that confer special powers on the President and the Executive Branch, especially concerning measures that have domestic effect. A declaration, for instance, activates statutes that empower the President to interdict all trade with the enemy, order manufacturing plants to produce armaments and seize them if they refuse, control transportation systems in order to give the military priority use, and command communications systems to give priority to the military. A declaration triggers the Alien Enemy Act, which gives the President substantial discretionary authority over nationals of an enemy state who are in the United States. It activates special authorities to use electronic surveillance for purposes of gathering foreign intelligence information without a court order under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. It automatically extends enlistments in the armed forces until the end of the war, can make the Coast Guard part of the Navy, gives the President substantial discretion over the appointment and reappointment of commanders, and allows the military priority use of the natural resources on the public lands and the continental shelf.http://www.fredsakademiet.dk/tid/1800/1812/us_decleration_of_wars.pdf

http://thepeoplesguidetotheusconstitution.com/blog/articles/congressional-power-to-declare-war/
  7. 26 Sep '14 20:40
    Originally posted by JS357
    quote:

A Congressional Research Service report from 2007 states:

But a declaration of war automatically brings into effect a number of statutes that confer special powers on the President and the Executive Branch, especially concerning measures that have domestic effect. A declaration, for instance, activates statutes that empower the President to interd ...[text shortened]...
    http://thepeoplesguidetotheusconstitution.com/blog/articles/congressional-power-to-declare-war/
    Without specifically researching these additional powers, I suspect that many of them aren't Constitutional. Was Lincoln's suspension of habeas corpus during the Civil War Constitutional? Given the slim Constitutional grounds of a lot of recent legislation, it stands to reason that past Congresses took liberties as well.
  8. 26 Sep '14 20:42
    Originally posted by bill718
    Which "good old days" are you talking about? I don't remember past presidents doing a lot more Q&A sessions.
    I think you're right. Modern Presidents are under much greater scrutiny than the old timers.
  9. 26 Sep '14 21:51
    Originally posted by bill718
    Even Bush answered questions and I hate Bush, but although reluctantly...he did. If enough people call for Q&A I'm sure Obama will be forced to. This is a free country, right? (sarcasm)

http://www.democracynow.org/2006/3/22/helen_thomas_asks_president_bush_why
  10. 26 Sep '14 21:58
    Even Bush answered questions and I hate Bush, but although reluctantly...he did. If enough people call for Q&A I'm sure Obama will be forced to. This is a free country, right? (sarcasm)

http://www.democracynow.org/2006/3/22/helen_thomas_asks_president_bush_why
    Even if Bush or Obama never appears in the Oval Office in front of cameras, they are subjected to countless questioning in blogs, message boards and the like where they don't have an opportunity to answer. All in all today's President gets a lot more scrutiny than in the good old days. Partisanship seems to blind a great many people who are willing to forgive the excesses of a President they voted for.
  11. 26 Sep '14 22:03
    Even if Bush or Obama never appears in the Oval Office in front of cameras, they are subjected to countless questioning in blogs, message boards and the like where they don't have an opportunity to answer. All in all today's President gets a lot more scrutiny than in the good old days. Partisanship seems to blind a great many people who are willing to forgive the excesses of a President they voted for.
    What questioning? When has Obama been questioned about bombing ISIS? As I have established Bush answered questions, Obama has not. Are Democrats not obliged to answer questions as to why they are ordering the bombing (killing) of people?

Why the double standard?
  12. 26 Sep '14 22:14
    What questioning? When has Obama been questioned about bombing ISIS? As I have established Bush answered questions, Obama has not. Are Democrats not obliged to answer questions as to why they are ordering the bombing (killing) of people?

Why the double standard?
    Bush of course got grilled by the traditional media which is largely an arm of the DNC. Not so much to Obama, but there are plenty of non traditional media where Obama's administration has been questioned.
  13. 26 Sep '14 23:20
    Bush of course got grilled by the traditional media which is largely an arm of the DNC. Not so much to Obama, but there are plenty of non traditional media where Obama's administration has been questioned.
    What is your source of information?
  14. 26 Sep '14 23:23

I would like to ask him, when we will put troops back in Iraq,, and take these fanatics seriously.. he is such a "milk toast"
  15. 27 Sep '14 01:16
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    I would like to ask him, when we will put troops back in Iraq,, and take these fanatics seriously.. he is such a "milk toast"
    You are insane.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etFX8rLvxoo