Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 19:081 edit
    @kazetnagorra said
    Daniel Kahneman's popular-scientific book Thinking, Fast and Slow (which I highly recommend) describes our current understanding of how people make decisions.

One kind of decision-making process is known as substitution, and it is closely related to the Dunning-Kruger effect. It works as follows: when people are faced with a difficult decision requiring ...[text shortened]... or Republican?", "which candidate do I (dis)like?" or "how do I feel about immigrants/minorities?"
    (KazetNagorra replied to Wajoma.)

"... when people are faced with a difficult decision requiring information or
    knowledge they do not possess, they will often (subconsciously) replace the
    question they are pondering by a loosely related, but simpler question."
    --KazetNagorra

I have observed a similar effect about the common misinterpretation of my posts here.

When (as is common) people lack the reading comprehension or background of
    knowledge needed to understand and reply intelligently to what I write, they
    typically prefer to attack something apparently loosely related (at most) and
    much simpler that they fantasize (based on their prejudices) that I believe.

So when I write a balanced nuanced criticism (often quoting some white Americans)
    of American racism, many, if not most, white Americans here (being stupid and
    prejudiced) love to 'reply' while clinging tightly to heir cherished meme of
    'Duchess64 hates all white people' or 'Duchess64 hates all Americans'.
  2. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 19:15
    @duchess64 said

--KazetNagorra

I have observed a similar effect about the common misinterpretation of my posts here.
    ...[text shortened]... y to heir cherished meme of
    No, actually...it's your ego.
    You project a belief, that no one else in these forums, is as smart as you.
    And, trust me my dear, on this point...you are dead wrong.
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 19:493 edits
    @wolfe63 said
    No, actually...it's your ego.
    You project a belief, that no one else in these forums, is as smart as you.
    And, trust me my dear, on this point...you are dead wrong.
    The hateful lying troll Wolfe63 has a long record of hurling insults and lies to attack me.
    For instance, Wolfe63 recently blatantly lied in claiming that I have boasted of
    being a physicist or perhaps even a genius at physics. Of course, the troll Wolfe63
    cannot quote me ever writing what he has put into my mouth.

I never have claimed to have greater expertise than everyone else in every subject.
    I tend to have more expertise than most people, however, in most of the subjects
    about which I choose to write. Of course, most white men here already 'know' that
    white men must be the greatest experts on every subject, including racism and sexism.
  4. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 21:091 edit
    A few recent examples, which demonstrate, how Duchess64's ego has been allowed to run amuck:

"It's true that my posts on history have to be oversimplified ('dumbed down' ) here."

"I know much more than Shavixmir about European history in general."

"In fact, I already have recommended _Kill Anything That Moves_ by Nick Turse *several times* (months ago) in earlier posts (which received many 'thumbs down' ).
    As far as I know, no American here ever has claimed to have read it. Given that Wolfe63 has not read the book, he would not know that Nick Turse agrees with me."

In other words: If we have not read precisely what Duchess64 has read; if we do not evaluate history precisely as Duchess64 does...then we are mere amateurs and students. She frequently and flippantly dismisses us as being unworthy of having our own alternative experiences and perspectives.

That, dear readers, is flat-out wrong.

No person abodes upon the "island of knowing all things".
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 21:213 edits
    @wolfe63 said
    A few recent examples, which demonstrate, how Duchess64's ego has been allowed to run amuck:

"It's true that my posts on history have to be oversimplified ('dumbed down' ) here."

"In fact, I already have recommended _Kill Anything That Moves_ by Nick Turse *several times* (months ago) in earlier po ...[text shortened]...

The abusive lying troll Wolfe63 ignores the evidence (which I cited) of his lying to attack me.

"When there's a need to know or understand more about something, however complex,
    or obscure, in history, many, if not most, people here prefer to trust a consensus
    of ignorant laymen on the internet rather than a consensus of academic historians
    who specialize in that historical subject."
    --Duchess64

Wolfe63 already apparently has implied that he prefers a consensus of ignorant laymen,
    presumably if they are white Americans like himself. Americans have a common
    international reputation for their ignorance of and indifference toward history.

I make no apology for stating the obvious (which Wolfe63 finds too painful to accept)
    that a scholarly historian knows more than laymen in one's chosen field of history.

I await Wolfe63 attacking the physicist KazetNagorra's 'ego for running amuck'
    whenever he claims to know than Wolfe63 about physics.

Would the extremely insecure lying troll Wolfe63 insist that I pretend to be in awe
    of the supposedly greater skill at and comprehension of chess shown by the many
    much lower rated players at RHP?
  6. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 21:321 edit
    @duchess64 said
    The abusive lying troll Wolfe63 ignores the evidence (which I cited) of his lying to attack me.

"When there's a need to know or understand more about something, however complex,
    or obscure, in history, many, if not most, people here prefer to trust a consensus
    of ignorant laymen on the internet rather than a consensus of academic historians
    who specialize in that h ...[text shortened]... painful to accept)
    that a scholarly historian knows more in one's field of history than laymen do.
    You depend upon our ignorance. If you were indeed so wise, you would provide proof of your expertise.
    But, because you've found a trusting site, you presume that most will accept your claims of being professionally credentialed.
    But, luckily for you, such things are unverifiable over the internet.
    What have you published?

I'm guessing...nothing.
  7. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 21:47
    @kazetnagorra said
    Suppose you need brain surgery. Who would you trust more to know what techniques to apply for successful surgery, yourself or a brain surgeon?
    I think some posters in this forum have already tried to find that out. 😆
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 21:483 edits
    @wolfe63 said
    You depend upon our ignorance. If you were indeed so wise, you would provide proof of your expertise.
    But, because you've found a trusting site, you presume that most will accept your claims of being professionally credentialed.
    But, luckily for you, such things are unverifiable over the internet.
    What have you published?

I'm guessing...nothing.
    Some people have demanded that KazetNagorra provide proof of his formal qualifications
    (such as citing any of his published papers). He has refused in order to avoid revealing
    his real identity and risk becoming a target of harassment, abuse, or worse in real life.

Is the troll Wolfe63 demanding that No1Marauder reveal his real name and law office?
    Sonhouse recently became irate after he was 'outed' by a troll in another forum.
  9. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 22:031 edit
    @duchess64 said
    Some people have demanded that KazetNagorra provide proof of his formal qualifications
    (such as citing any of his published papers). He has refused in order to avoid revealing
    his real identity and risk becoming a target of harassment, abuse, or worse in real life.

Is the troll Wolfe63 demanding that No1Marauder reveal his real name and law office?
    Sonhouse recently became irate after he was 'outed' by a troll in another forum.
    I haven't demanded anything.
    I'm simply making a point.
    You presumably intend to go on, spouting off about your mathematical/historical superiority.

Thus, one cannot be faulted for asking: Just what is it that makes your opinions better qualified?

Quotes, Copy & Pastes and Internet Citations just don't cut it.

I expect further dodging under the guise of internet insecurity.
  10. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 22:44
    @wolfe63 said

"In fact, I already have recommended _Kill Anything That Moves_ by Nick Turse *several times* (months ago) in earlier po ...[text shortened]...

and you are supposed to be an adult?
  11. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 Oct '18 03:49
    @sleepyguy said
    The smugness, you two fools, is in believing you are a better judge of my own interests than I am. But WHATEVER boys! Keep that smug hate flowing. It helps my causes more than yours.
    Oh you are so wrong.
    Are you Donald Trump?
    No. Then he doesn’t have your interests at heart.
  12. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 Oct '18 08:162 edits
    @duchess64 said

--KazetNagorra

...[text shortened]... y to heir cherished meme of
    So when I write a balanced nuanced criticism (often quoting some white Americans) of American racism, many, if not most, white Americans here (being stupid and prejudiced) love to 'reply' while clinging tightly to heir cherished meme of 'Duchess64 hates all white people'

A "balanced" nuanced criticism normally contains an acknowledgment of the positive and negative aspects of one's subject. I have yet to read anything positive you've written about white males, however your cherished little comment about most of us being stupid and prejudiced is remarkably consistent.
  13. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    15 Oct '18 11:23
    @shavixmir said
    Oh you are so wrong.
    Are you Donald Trump?
    No. Then he doesn’t have your interests at heart.
    Oh but Hillary does, right? Do you think you're making sense?
  14. Germany
    Moves
    15 Oct '18 15:23
    @sleepyguy said
    Oh but Hillary does, right? Do you think you're making sense?
    The broad consensus among people qualified to judge is that a Clinton administration would have been better for the average American. What makes you think you are more qualified than those who are more qualified than you?
  15. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Oct '18 15:27
    @kazetnagorra said
    The broad consensus among people qualified to judge is that a Clinton administration would have been better for the average American. What makes you think you are more qualified than those who are more qualified than you?
    The broad consensus among the voting public is determined by elections. Everything else is simply b.s.