Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    27 Jan '17 22:082 edits
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/27/donald-trump-michigan-voters-media

"Macomb v media: voters who read little news think Trump had a great first week:
    In a Michigan county that helped get Donald Trump elected, people are actively
    choosing to ignore news they don’t want to hear – or not receiving news at all."
    --Ed Pilkington (27 January 2017)

"There has been much debate in recent months about the phenomenon
    of social media “echo chambers” in which people consume only news
    that conforms to their prior beliefs, thus separating Americans into
    increasingly partisan camps. On the right, the proliferation of ideological
    websites such as Breitbart and fake news outlets on Facebook have
    allowed millions of voters to bypass mainstream media entirely, gaining
    their information in forms that merely reinforce their prejudices."

"In Macomb County, though, a slightly different narrative appears to be
    unfolding. It’s not that people are living in their own media bubbles so
    much as they are actively choosing to ignore news that they do not want
    to hear, or even more alarmingly, receiving no news at all."

"One of the issues that has preoccupied the media in the first week of
    the new presidency has been Trump’s commitment to falsehoods. He
    repeated several times the conspiracy theory that up to 5 million non-
    citizens voted illegally in the election, and he bragged that 1.5 million
    people had attended his inauguration – a claim that was conclusively
    debunked by aerial photography.

But several Macomb County residents told the Guardian that though
    they did pay attention to the news, they were utterly uninterested in the
    subject of presidential disinformation."

Obstinate willful ignorance and denying reality are common among writers in this forum.

I would submit that many, if not most, Americans condone, if not admire,
    President Trump for being a pathological liar as long as he tells the lies
    that they love to hear. Americans tend to be very self-deluded.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 00:21
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/27/donald-trump-michigan-voters-media

"Macomb v media: voters who read little news think Trump had a great first week:
    In a Michigan county that helped get Donald Trump elected, people are actively
    choosing to ignore news they don’t want to hear – or not receiving news at all."
    --Ed Pilkington (27 Januar ...[text shortened]... as long as he tells the lies
    that they love to hear. Americans tend to be very self-deluded.
    You need to put down the kool aide and start listening to other news sources.

I had to clarify how the US elections work for a guy in Poland. He thought there were two different elections. The first was the election by the people which Hillary won. The second election was by elected officials who didn't listen to the people.

So much disinformation out there.
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 00:53
    YouTube

When will we have the moral courage to call Trump for what he is - a fascist?

But be clear - his election is the culmination of a political process. He is not a solitary exceptional being. He has huge support and frankly I am not sure that his rivals for the Republican candidacy were vastly batter - or even much less offensive.

Houston - you have a problem.
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 00:57
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You need to put down the kool aide and start listening to other news sources.

I had to clarify how the US elections work for a guy in Poland. He thought there were two different elections. The first was the election by the people which Hillary won. The second election was by elected officials who didn't listen to the people.

So much disinformation out there.
    YouTube

The view from Holland is worth hearing and I hope Eladar can grasp the essential point that Trump is a fascist and utterly ludicrous with it.
  5. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 01:00
    "Let us be clear: This is not a peaceful transition of power. It’s a corporate takeover. The interests that have long-since paid off both major parties to do their bidding have decided they are tired of playing the game. Apparently, all that wining and dining of politicians, all that cajoling and legalized bribery, insulted their sense of divine entitlement.

So now they are cutting out the middleman and doing what every top dog does when they want something done right—they are doing it themselves. Exxon for secretary of state. Hardee’s for secretary of labor. General Dynamics for secretary of defense. And the Goldman guys for pretty much everything that’s left. After decades of privatizing the state in bits and pieces, they decided to just go for the government itself. Neoliberalism’s final frontier.

That’s why Trump and his appointees are laughing at the feeble objections over conflicts of interest—the whole thing is a conflict of interest, that’s the whole point."
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 01:05
    Originally posted by finnegan
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELD2AwFN9Nc

The view from Holland is worth hearing and I hope Eladar can grasp the essential point that Trump is a fascist and utterly ludicrous with it.
    We'll see if he is a Facist or run of the mill "I am going to make my friends and myself even richer" kind of President.

You are hardly in position to know, but with the propaganda you ingest I am sure you believe you are.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 01:22
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTfPwFBENM4

But be clear - his election is the culmination of a political process. He is not a solitary exceptional being. He has huge support and frankly I am not sure that his rivals for the Republican candidacy were vastly batter - or even much less offensive.

And what did your Hollandaise flavored moral courage call O'Bammy, exactly?
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 01:46

"He (US President Trump) has huge support."
    --Finnegan

In the USA, most white men *and* most white women voted for Donald Trump.
    So Donald Trump enjoys the approval of at least half of white America.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 01:51
    --Finnegan

Says the racist troll.
  10. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 06:27
    --Finnegan

Based on your post, about half of white America voted against Trump. That's somewhat positive although I totally agree the country is horribly racist with a fascist president and a fascist dominated congress.
  11. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 06:48

I'm not sure Trump is a fascist.
    To be one means younhave a political doctrine and agenda. Trump is a complete narcist. He only cares about his ego.

If it's. Communist pussy grabbing sessions that benefit his ego, that's the path he'll take.
  12. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 09:14
    --Finnegan

This election victory by Donald Trump had more to do with a deep distrust of Hillary Clinton than it did with enthusiasm for Mr. Trump.

And we deeply apologize to Duchess for being white people! 🙁
  13. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 09:50
    Originally posted by mchill
    This election victory by Donald Trump had more to do with a deep distrust of Hillary Clinton than it did with enthusiasm for Mr. Trump.

And we deeply apologize to Duchess for being white people! 🙁
    I agree that Clinton lost an election that the Democrats ought to have won. Obama paved the way to defeat.

I would not have voted for her.

The alternative, however, was in place because of the way Republicans have behaved.
  14. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 09:582 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    And what did your Hollandaise flavored moral courage call O'Bammy, exactly?
    Check my history of posts. I have consistently opposed and criticised Obama as a neoliberal and an American imperialist. I see him and Hillary Clinton as a continuation of the Third Way monstrosity which saw Bill Clinton introduce some of the most oppressive and inhumane policies of the era. Under the Third Way umbrella, Democrats have routinely pushed to be on the right rather than the left of the spectrum.

I have, of course, acknowledged Obama's consummate skill and intelligence as a professional politican, and as human beings his family provide a startling contrast to what has followed. However, a polished and polite fascist is not what I have in mind for the future of mankind. I also find the ideology of family values regressive and the mirror of a hypocritical appeal to the ideal 'family values' is the use of sexist insults and terms to denigrate Trump's current wife. Trump's personality disorder is a legitimate target for comment and concern, his wife's sexual history is not. Indeed, I am amused to see the Christian Right so supportive of her, reflecting the astounding idiocy and inconsistency of their ideology. If it were the case that she was once a sex worker, which I doubt and I am not interested in finding out, that is hilarious. Women do what they can to survive in a patriarchal hell hole.

In short, I am not a part of the American political spectrum, which runs all the way from A to B and then stops.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 13:24
    --Finnegan

Wait....wut?

Racist white men put Obama in power for two terms?

The hell you say.