Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    12 Dec '18 19:17
    I might be jumping the gun here but any thoughts?
    I think the job is political suicide so it has to be somebody stupid.
    I don't think Boris will even run.

Jacob Rees-Mogg is my recommendation.
    You can get 20/1 on him.
  2. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    12 Dec '18 20:37
    @wolfgang59 said

You can get 20/1 on him.
    I'm sure it would be political suicide, but politicians, being power hungry by nature will almost certainly try to fill the void.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 07:25
    It was political suicide for Theresa May but she may claim that she was PM after all...
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 07:28
    @ponderable said
    It was political suicide for Theresa May but she may claim that she was PM after all...
    True.
    And that is somewhat my point.
    An outsider may take on the role.
    I dont think the "big guns" will be interested.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 09:22
    Well I lost my 5 quid bet!
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 10:29
    @wolfgang59 said

You can get 20/1 on him.
    Dominic Raab! French first name, German surname, all English. Guaranteed to give you a happy post-Brexit life.
  7. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 11:173 edits
    @shallow-blue said
    Dominic Raab! French first name, German surname, all English. Guaranteed to give you a happy post-Brexit life.
    You've said that before, and it was just as dismal the first time.

Mr Raab is the son of a Czech Jewish immigrant, who like many others, has built a new life in the United Kingdom and risen through the ranks, hence the surname. What are you trying to prove, that British politics is available to all those who call Britain their home? British politics, across the political spectrum, is full of immigrants, people of colour, LGBT people etc. Is that a bad thing?

Anyone who's not incredibly ignorant of history will know that Britain is far from being a homogenous country, and is also the result of waves of invaders from mainland Europe mixed with the native Celtic peoples. The English language is an amalgamation of languages; the basic vocabulary and structure is Germanic yet there is also much influence from Latin, French and other romance languages.

You seem to have a penchant for ridiculous non-sequiturs and 19th century national stereotyping that goes beyond friendly needling (Britain is "airstrip one" or "the 51st state" and Britons are "Limeys" ). Your views on politics are extremely biased, black and white or prejudiced down national lines. You've argued that what one thinks of Donald Trump is all that matters in terms of someone's politics. You've said that there's such thing as a "continental mind", presumably in opposition to a "British mind" (which I can only assume stems from extreme ignorance of cultural, linguistic and political differences across continental Europe). You've said that No1Marauder is "Good old British roast beef!". Need I explain why that's a preposterous conclusion?

I'm British, I'm a Brexiteer, and I'm 99% sure that I'm between half and a quarter of your age, yet I'm far less crude than you.
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 11:20
    @wolfgang59 said
    Well I lost my 5 quid bet!
    Maybe ask for your money back until the end of the month. 117 against was far more than anyone expected. Margaret Thatcher had to resign with only 200 odd in favour, and she had a majority of 100 and had won 3 elections.
  9. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 16:53
    @ashiitaka said

Mr Raab is the son of a Czech Jewish immigrant, who like many others, has built a new life in the United Kingdom and risen through the ranks, hence the surname.
    Yes, and don't forget that he nearly won the Eurovision contest a few years ago in Stockholm.
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 17:14
    @biffo-konker said
    Yes, and don't forget that he nearly won the Eurovision contest a few years ago in Stockholm.
    That joke is probably only for People in Germany.

YouTube
  11. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 17:25
    @wolfgang59 said

You can get 20/1 on him.
    I’m surprised you even bet against May holding on, to most of us here it was pretty obvious she would win “comfortably” , if that is the correct adjective when over 100 back benchers voted against her.
  12. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 17:281 edit
    @ashiitaka said
    You've said that before, and it was just as dismal the first time.

Mr Raab is the son of a Czech Jewish immigrant, who like many others, has built a new life in the United Kingdom and risen through the ranks, hence the surname. What are you trying to prove, that British politics is available to all those who call Britain their home? British politics, across the politica ...[text shortened]... 'm 99% sure that I'm between half and a quarter of your age, yet I'm far less crude than you.
    Being anti brexit, anti UK, anti English anti Monarchy, anti Westminster, anti anything over here....is totally in vogue for those who don’t hold a claret passport and have no chance of getting a blue one. Shallow or otherwise.

/flame