Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 24 Jan '16 23:07 / 2 edits
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/01/dean-weingarten/the-media-has-more-blood-on-its-hands-with-the-canadian-school-shooting/

Anyone hear about this? No? The hell you say.

Details about the school shooting in Canada are still in short supply. We know that police have a 17-year-old male in custody, facing four counts of murder and seventeen counts of attempted murder. It seems likely that the shooting was motivated by the media coverage given to mass shooters, especially school shootings, in the western world. From thestarphoenix.com . . .

A 17-year-old was charged with four counts of murder in connection with Friday’s deadly school shooting in La Loche, Canada, authorities said.

The teenager is also facing seven counts of attempted murder.

The charges were announced during a press conference Saturday afternoon, where officials with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police also offered some detail into how the tragic event unfolded in the remote village located in the northern part of the Saskatchewan province.

“To have the lives of teachers and these students and staff cut short by this unspeakable horrible event is simply unimaginable,” Brad Wall, premier of Saskatchewan, said during the conference.

RCMP officials said authorities responded to the La Loche Community School after reports of gunfire at the campus.

The suspected teenage shooter was taken into custody at gunpoint by RCMP officials. He was not identified because he is a minor.

An adult female was pronounced dead at the scene. An adult male was taken to a hospital where he died.

Seven also suffered gunshot wounds at the school, an RCMP official said at the press conference.

During their investigation, police also discovered an earlier shooting had also occurred at a nearby home, where two people were found dead.
  2. 24 Jan '16 23:11
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/01/dean-weingarten/the-media-has-more-blood-on-its-hands-with-the-canadian-school-shooting/

Details about the school shooting in Canada are still in short supply. We know that police have a 17-year-old male in custody, facing four counts of murder and seventeen counts ...[text shortened]... overed an earlier shooting had also occurred at a nearby home, where two people were found dead.
    http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCAKCN0V02KT

"Mass shootings are rare in Canada, which has stricter gun laws than the United States."
    --Rod Nickel and Julie Gordon (for Reuters)
  3. 24 Jan '16 23:22 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64

"Mass shootings are rare in Canada, which has stricter gun laws than the United States."
    And if the US outlawed guns the guns would still be out there, which means this would continue.

Nothing would change other than Americans not being legally allowed to own guns.

Would you favor a government door to door search and seizure to obtain the firearms?
  4. 24 Jan '16 23:40 / 3 edits
    And if the US outlawed guns the guns would still be out there, which means this would continue.
    Nothing would change other than Americans not being legally allowed to own guns.
    Would you favor a government door to door search and seizure to obtain the firearms?
    I suspect that a proud American lover of 'gun freedom' would have been more 'successful'
    than this Canadian gunman. Only four deaths would hardly be worth noticing in the USA.

I can think of some circumstances under which I might welcome the government encouraging
    the public to be trained in using guns before they are armed. For instance, one such
    circumstance would be if we were soon going to be invaded by the United States.
  5. 25 Jan '16 00:18
    I suspect that a proud American lover of 'gun freedom' would have been more 'successful'
    than this Canadian gunman. Only four deaths would hardly be worth noticing in the USA.

I can think of some circumstances under which I might welcome the government encouraging
    the public to be trained in using guns before they are armed. For instance, one such
    circumstance would be if we were soon going to be invaded by the United States.
    You would rather just the police have guns and the military.

How are they better people than the citizens they purport to defend?
  6. 25 Jan '16 16:02
    You would rather just the police have guns and the military.

How are they better people than the citizens they purport to defend?
    they are trained to use them for one thing.
    they can lose their jobs and consequently the right to carry guns.
    they must pass psych evaluations.
  7. 25 Jan '16 16:06

Details about the school shooting in Canada are still in short supply. We know that police have a 17-year-old male in custody, facing four counts of murder and seventeen counts ...[text shortened]... overed an earlier shooting had also occurred at a nearby home, where two people were found dead.
    so are you saying that in canada, with strict gun control, mass shootings still occur, though at a much lower rate than in the US? maybe gun control does have an impact on mass shootings (and gun suicides, and gun accidents, and gun homicides)?

are you implying that one shouldn't implement stricter gun control because it wouldn't solve 100% of gun violence? by that logic, since drug laws have not eradicated 100% of drug related crimes, they are useless and shouldn't exist?
  8. 25 Jan '16 18:26

Population density in Canada is considerably less than in the US. Almost everything in Canada is rare compared to the US.

Gun laws are not the only thing differentiating Canada and the US.
  9. 25 Jan '16 18:28
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    You have to question the validity and effectiveness of those evaluations and training. Cops go off, perhaps at higher rates than ordinary citizens.
  10. 25 Jan '16 19:31
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    Psych evaluations?

You mean like former soldier Timothy McVeigh?

It seems to me that training people to kill makes them more prone to killing as where people who own a gun simply to defend themselves are less likely to use them.
  11. 25 Jan '16 19:32
    Originally posted by normbenign
    You have to question the validity and effectiveness of those evaluations and training. Cops go off, perhaps at higher rates than ordinary citizens.
    Suicide rates among cops are terrible, yet they all have guns.
  12. 25 Jan '16 20:49
    Originally posted by normbenign
    bwahahaha, this coming from a guy who constantly denies any wrongdoing when cops shoot black people.

but no, i don't think cops do more crime than "ordinary citizens"
    i don't think cops are less trained than "ordinary citizens"
    they are not less stable than ordinary citizens and
    they certainly don't commit more mass shootings than ordinary citizens.
  13. 25 Jan '16 20:52
    Psych evaluations?

You mean like former soldier Timothy McVeigh?

It seems to me that training people to kill makes them more prone to killing as where people who own a gun simply to defend themselves are less likely to use them.
    yes, please give me the one example that will invalidate my argument. all it takes is one deranged soldier to prove soldiers are more deranged than ordinary citizens.

soldiers undergo constant psych evaluations. ordinary citizens do not. if a soldier is deemed unstable he is discharged, meaning the army takes his gun away. after that he manages to get another gun because gun laws are lax or improperly implemented, it's not the army's fault.