Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 13:54
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    Sanctimonious twaddle from someone too thick to notice when you are making a fool of yourself.

http://www.guacamoley.com/covfefe/2017/09/01/Z486Bm/twitter-tears-presdent-trump-apart-fo?utm_content=inf_11_3742_2&tse_id=INF_6797beb08ef111e7a7253d7eefa2109b

[quote]When Donald and Melania Trump visited Texas on Tuesday to witness the effects of Hurrican ...[text shortened]... mp for being a total fraud, not the victims of the flood, and they are very funny. Have a read.
    Trump's PR team or perhaps Trump himself have realized that such criticism is politically damaging and is going back to the region to do it better this time: http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/02/politics/donald-trump-texas-harvey/index.html
  2. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    03 Sep '17 09:172 edits

It is impossible for Texans to prevent these events because they are pig ignorant about Nature, ignore experts, refuse to control development and cannot embrace the responsibillities of central and local governments.
    FinnegaN: "Slightly awesome to watch natural selection working itself out in real time as Texas heads for its own Darwin Awards omnibus edition, but could it happen to nicer people?"

You said 'Texas'.
    I said 'Texans'.
    You said "...if you wish to be picky [my post] mentioned Texas rather than Texans".
    Now you're saying 'Texans'.

Again I'll make the point, even if you get some bitter satisfaction from the death and suffering of those that do not share your political views you do not know the politics and philosophy of those that lost their life in this disaster. You don't even know that they were from Texas.

But your latest post makes things very uncomfortable for you when we take into account your diversionary post about the floods in Bangladesh and India. Your statement can be applied to them as well. How much of the accommodation of those worst effected in these floods was 'to code'. All they needed to do was "embrace the responsibilities of central and local guvamint'. The cost of the permits and buratcracy (you are a fanboy of) would have assured that they didn't even get to build a home in the first place.
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    03 Sep '17 10:054 edits
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    FinnegaN: "Slightly awesome to watch natural selection working itself out in real time as Texas heads for its own Darwin Awards omnibus edition, but could it happen to nicer people?"

You said 'Texas'.
    I said 'Texans'.
    You said "...if you wish to be picky [my post] mentioned Texas rather than Texans".
    Now you're saying 'Texans'.

Again I'll ...[text shortened]... re a fanboy of) would have assured that they didn't even get to build a home in the first place.
    It is twaddle like that that makes the USA what it is today - a declining and rather soggy mess.

Yes India and Bangladesh are in need of better governance. India especially is deeply unequal and moving towards a more neoliberal and more racist politics. Bangladesh is a product of the way Britain withdrew from its empire there and has deep structural problems as a result.

They are not in need of less government but better government.

So is Texas.

And I don't much care about slagging off "Texans" in the context. It remains a political rant.

Your drivel is just a distraction and utterly insincere. If what mattered to you was the humanitarian aspect - the suffering - then you would show a different attitude to the flooding in India and Bangladesh. You would be thinking - oh, that is all the more poignant given our own experience here in Texas, where we have so much more wealth to help us cope. It is that hypocrisy that I was pointing out and you confirm all too well.
  4. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    03 Sep '17 22:15
    It is twaddle like that that makes the USA what it is today - a declining and rather soggy mess.

Yes India and Bangladesh are in need of better governance. India especially is deeply unequal and moving towards a more neoliberal and more racist politics. Bangladesh is a product of the way Britain withdrew from its empire there and has deep structural p ...[text shortened]... lth to help us cope. It is that hypocrisy that I was pointing out and you confirm all too well.
    What should I change my attitude from finnegan? I have not done or said anything to indicate my attitude to the flooding in India and Bangladesh.

You'd like to make this about my attitude when we're not finished with your attitude yet. Your true attitude has been accidentally exposed and it's rotten to the core, gloating on the suffering of innocent people in a kind of 'told you so" (you didn't) self righteousness. And since then you've tried to pull every trick you can think of (a sad repertoire) instead of face it.

You need to try some introspection, you need to examine your motives.

"This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."
  5. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    04 Sep '17 10:17
    What should I change my attitude from finnegan? I have not done or said anything to indicate my attitude to the flooding in India and Bangladesh.

You'd like to make this about my attitude when we're not finished with your attitude yet. Your true attitude has been accidentally exposed and it's rotten to the core, gloating on the suffering of innocent peo ...[text shortened]... true,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."[/i]
    "All they needed to do was "embrace the responsibilities of central and local guvamint'. The cost of the permits and buratcracy (you are a fanboy of) would have assured that they didn't even get to build a home in the first place."

That attitude needs to change Wajoma.
  6. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    05 Sep '17 23:352 edits
    "All they needed to do was "embrace the responsibilities of central and local guvamint'. The cost of the permits and buratcracy (you are a fanboy of) would have assured that they didn't even get to build a home in the first place."

That attitude needs to change Wajoma.
    All they needed to do was "embrace the responsibilities of central and local guvamint'. The cost of the permits and buratcracy (you are a fanboy of) would have assured that they didn't even get to build a home in the first place."

Sure, the Laissez Faire way to provide cheap housing is to not bother with basic infrastructure like sewers and drains and generally, if people are too poor to pay for decent housing at market prices, then stuff them, because America does not house its poor with any decency. It just operates the largest military budget on the planet and subsidises Israeli citizens in their apartheid colony, while providing corporate welfare at stunning levels ...

Scientists in Houston, Texas, have lifted the lid on one of America’s darkest and deepest secrets: that hidden beneath fabulous wealth, the US tolerates poverty-related illness at levels comparable to the world’s poorest countries. More than one in three people sampled in a low-income area of Alabama tested positive for traces of hookworm, a gastrointestinal parasite that was thought to have been eradicated from the US decades ago....

...The study, the first of its kind in modern times, was carried out by the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine in conjunction with Alabama Center for Rural Enterprise (ACRE), a nonprofit group seeking to address the root causes of poverty. In a survey of people living in Lowndes County, an area with a long history of racial discrimination and inequality, it found that 34% tested positive for genetic traces of Necator americanus....

...Some 73% of residents included in the Baylor survey reported that they had been exposed to raw sewage washing back into their homes as a result of faulty septic tanks or waste pipes becoming overwhelmed in torrential rains.

The Baylor study was inspired by Catherine Flowers, ACRE’s founder, who encouraged the Houston scientists to carry out the review after she became concerned about the health consequences of having so many open sewers in her home county. “Hookworm is a 19th century disease that should by now have been addressed, yet we are still struggling with it in the United States in the 21st century,” she said.

“Our billionaire philanthropists like Bill Gates fund water treatment around the world, but they don’t fund it here in the US because no one acknowledges that this level of poverty exists in the richest nation in the world.” ...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/05/hookworm-lowndes-county-alabama-water-waste-treatment-poverty
  7. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    06 Sep '17 12:01
    All they needed to do was "embrace the responsibilities of central and local guvamint'. The cost of the permits and buratcracy (you are a fanboy of) would have assured that they didn't even get to build a home in the first place."

Sure, the Laissez Faire way to provide cheap housing is to not bother with basic infrastructure like sewers and drai ...[text shortened]... heguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/05/hookworm-lowndes-county-alabama-water-waste-treatment-poverty
    Israel?

🙄
  8. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    06 Sep '17 16:091 edit
    Israel?

🙄
    In per capita terms, the United States gives each Israeli a direct subsidy worth about $500 per year. This largesse is especially striking when one realizes that Israel is now a wealthy industrial state with a per capita income roughly equal to South Korea or Spain.
    http://ifamericaknew.org/stat/usaid.html

I am reminding you that the USA subsidises Israelis at levels that it does not offer its own citizens. It subsidises US corporations and it subsidises the rich. It spends insane sums on its military.

It doesn't just tolerate obscene inequality, it subsidises obscene inequality.

In other words, in the wealthiest nation on earth, the priorities of the US government do not include its own people.
  9. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    06 Sep '17 17:391 edit
    http://uproxx.com/news/hurricane-irma-hit-trump-caribbean-property-mar-a-lago-st-martin/

A meme on Facebook reads: Dear Hurricane Irma, here is Mar a Lago's address...
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '17 18:24

You'd like to make this about my attitude when we're not finished with your attitude yet. Your true attitude has been accidentally exposed and it's rotten to the core, gloating on the suffering of innocent peo ...[text shortened]... true,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."[/i]
    The old Texan motto was, "Remember the Alamo"

Now it is "Remember what Finn said"